Sunday, July 26, 2015

A Copycat Biscuit Mix + Savory Onion and Cheese Muffins


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I haven't capitulated, although tonight's feature might lead you to believe I've lowered my standards. There is no need to worry. I'm still a proponent of from scratch cooking. While I still won't use commercial mixes, I have been known to create my own version of some of the more popular products, like Bisquick, because they make my life so much easier. I like to use them when we are at the lake and barbecues and berries beg for biscuits or beds of shortcake to complete the meal. This copycat recipe for Bisquick first appeared in the food section of the Kansas City Star and I have been making and baking with it for several years now. It is a snap to put together and it makes quick work of summer sides that can be difficult to prepare in small or poorly equipped kitchens. I also use it to make quick coffee cakes and muffins on Sunday morning. It is really easy to make and it can be stored for up to four months if it's refrigerated. I used the mix to make the savory muffins that are part of tonight's feature. I wanted something quick and easy to serve with a French vegetable soup and these savory muffins filled the bill. I do hope you will both the mix and the muffins. Here is how they are made.


Copycat Biscuit Mix...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Food.com

Ingredients:
6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening

Directions:
1) Sift flour, baking powder and salt three times into a large bowl.
2) Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
3) Store mixture in airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 months. Use whenever your recipe calls for "Bisquick mix".


Savory Onion and Cheese Muffins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Southern Food - about.com

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
3/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Topping
1 tablespoon poppy seeds, optional
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons melted butter

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray eight muffin cups with nonstick spray.
2) Cook onion over medium low heat in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
3) Whisk egg and milk together in a large bowl. Add biscuit mix and stir until just moistened. Fold in browned onion and 1/2 cup of cheese.
4) Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.
5) Sprinkle tops with remaining shredded cheese and poppy seeds, if using. Drizzle each muffin with about 1/2 teaspoon of melted butter.
6) Bake muffins for about 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. Yield: 6 to 8 muffins.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                          Two Years Ago Today:
         Menu for week of July 27 2014                                                      Bean and Corn Salsa


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
                 Blueberry Pudding Cake                                                          Red Pepper Soup

2 comments :

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...

I adore savoury mushrooms and I'm a total cheese fiend, so these look right up my street! Love the addition of poppy seeds too :)

From the Kitchen said...

I'm going to make a mix for my new pantry!!

Best,
Bonnie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly