Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hazelnut Shortbread


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...There are few things in the realm of snacks and sweets that tempt me to overindulge. Nonetheless, my fondness for shortbread is so epic that I'll only make it when there is a gang around to help me eat it. Left to my own devices, it would disappear within 24 hours and I'd have to spend the rest of my life on a treadmill. I blame you for what transpired today and I hold you personally responsible for my most recent fall from grace. I saw Diana Rattray's recipe for hazelnut shortbread and I felt duty bound to test it for you. In the blink of an eye, I found myself sitting at the table with a cup of French press coffee and one cookie. I wasn't sure the hazelnut flavor was all that I wanted it to be, so, of course, I had to try another and then another. It got ugly. I am writing this post while on the treadmill, so I do hope you'll try this recipe. You owe me. Here is how this lovely, nutty and simple shortbread is made.



Hazelnut Shortbread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Diana Rattray

Ingredients:
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup hazelnuts or filberts, finely chopped
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

Directions:
1) Combine flour, hazelnuts, butter, sugar and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl. Using a hand held mixer set at low speed, beat mixture just until blended. Scrape bowl with spatula a few times. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until well blended. Divide dough into 2 portions. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2) On a lightly floured surface and using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut dough into 1-1/2 inch circles. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove cookies to a rack to cool. Store in tightly covered container for up to 1 week. Yield: 2 dozen cookies.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                   One Year Ago Today:                                                            Two Years Ago Today:
                 Weekly Menu 9-28-2013                                      Peruvian Chicken with Chili Walnut Sauce


               Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today: 
               Creamy Corn Casserole                                                         Mushroom Galette

2 comments :

From the Kitchen said...

You just have to suck it up and do what you have to do for us out in the land of blog! Now to find some of those elusive hazelnuts here in the midwest.

Best,
Bonnie

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I would have been right next to you, continuing to sample!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly